General and Local Elections (May 31, 2001)


General Elections (may 13, 2001)
Bicameral Parliament: the Chamber of Deputies is composed of 630 deputies of which 475 are elected in single-member constituencies by the majority system and 155 are elected by the proportional system; The Senate is composed of 315 senators of which 232 are elected by the majority system and 83 are elected by the proportional system. Deputies and Senators serve five-year terms. Two broad centrist coalitions - one from the left, the other from the right - and a few maverick parties run for the 75% of both chambers' seats allotted through a majority system (first-past-the-post). The individual parties which take part in the coalitions, as well as the mavericks and many others, run for the remaining 25 % allotted through proportional systems (with a 4% threshold for the Chamber of Deputies).

L'Ulivo per Rutelli
Insieme per l'Italia

Center-Left Coalition

La Casa delle libertā
Berlusconi presidente

Center-Right Coalition

Rifondazione Comunista

Communist Refoundation Party

Lista Emma Bonino

Liberal, Liberist & Libertarian Party

Lista Di Pietro

Italia dei Valori

Democrazia Europea

Per unšItalia libera e solidale

Local Elections (may 13, 2001)
Roma
Antonio Tajani Casa delle libertà
Walter Veltroni Ulivo
Torino
Silvio Viale Lista Bonino
Roberto Rosso Casa delle libertà
Sergio Chiamparino Ulivo

Back to Italy 4:5